You may not even know what a wind storm certificate is. If you are buying or selling a home in Jefferson County you will want to do a windstorm WPI-8 Certificate Search . The Texas Department of Insurance provides comprehensive information on the Windstorm Inspection Program.
The short of it is - if you buy or sell in any of the 14 First Tier Counties along the Texas Gulf Coast, full list can be found on the windstorm page of the Texas Department of Insurance website, you will need to know if your home is covered.
Questions to Ask Your Realtor Before You Buy has 8 questions and answers you will want to know if you are buying or selling a home in one of the First Tier Counties that border the Gulf of Mexico. Here in the Golden Triangle of Texas, Jefferson County is in a windstorm area. Test your knowledge. Can you answer the following questions?
Take the Windstorm Quiz.
1. Is Windstorm Insurance Mandatory?
2. If I have flood insurance, isn't that all I need?
3. Are all counties affected by Windstorm requirements?
4. Is the house currently insured for wind and hail insurance?
5. What is the claims history on this house?
6. Can I insure just the roof?
7. Who can conduct windstorm inspections?
8. What if the house does not pass the inspection?
Answers can be found at the at the Texas Department of Insurance. They are also provided in the link on this page.