Could you hear the collective sigh of 500,000 Southeast Texas home owners when the 2009 Hurricane Season ended? After battling it out with Ike last year and Rita a just a few years prior, Southeast Texans are a little skittish when you mention the word "flood".
Now that we've all escaped a Hurricane its time for a refresher course on flood zones. Answer these five true or false questions.
- According to FEMA everyone lives in a flood zone? T or F
- Zones X, C, and B do not require flood insurance? T or F
- Zone A has a 26% chance of flooding over the life of a 30 year mortgage? T or F
- Anyone can look up an address on the FEMA maps and determine the current flood zone? T or F
- Zones A and V do not require flood insurance? T or F
To find the answers click the links below:
Yes, you live in a flood zone. Question 1 is true.
The Flood zones defined. Question 2 is true. Question 3 is true. Question 5 is false.
Flood Risk Address Search. Question 4 is true. Try it. Its pretty cool.
So how well did you know your flood facts? Most of Jefferson County is in flood zone X which is an area outside the 1% annual chance floodplain. Most of the home owners in Jefferson County are not required to carry flood insurance. All of the Southeast Texas FEMA flood maps are currently under review. The expected completion date according to the Floodsmart.gov website is 2011.